Monday, October 20, 2008

The day I saved a life

I was driving along Stanford street until I stopped at the turning lane on Florida Ave.
I waited at least 2 minutes until the light turned green.
As I started creeping forward, I hit a boy on his bicycle.
A little boy who was probably 6 or 7 decided to speed across the road without looking.
I am so thankful that I hit him because if I was not there to do so, he would have probably been dead.
I knocked him off of his bike and onto the hood of my car.
His bicycle got mangled under an SUV that was coming in the opposite direction.
This SUV was driving at least 50 mph!
The boy ran across the street to the Shell station as I pulled in to see if he was ok.
He was more interested in what happened to his bike but was fine.
There were three other witnesses who hugged me and the boy right away.
We picked up the pieces of his bicycle and put them in my car.
I drove the boy home and relayed the news to his mother.
She did not seem to care.
Wow.
What a mom.



It is very odd to say that I saved a boy's life by hitting him with my car.
If I would have looked the other way before creeping up, I would have had the reaction to stop.