Friday, October 17, 2008

I remember!

From toddler times to present day, I have moments in my life that I hope will always remain in my memory. Some are clear, some are hazy and others are just pictorial flashes that my brain stored in it's photo album.

I consider myself to be overly observant. I have been this way since the day I was born. My mom would sit a plant in front of my crib to keep me quiet because she knew I would be staring at it in awe for at least an hour. I remember extremely detailed things such as how the hose was rolled up in the backyard or what the garden looked like. I could list countless things!

One memory that I will never forget was the time I broke my arm. This happened to land on my first day of school in the first grade. It was a cold, rainy morning and was during "free play" that I decided to get my clothes dirty and finally get to be able to play on the "big kids" playground. In kindergarten, I was the champ at hop skotch, swing jumping and the ever so popular, "Monkey Bars". After a few hand-clapping games and a trip down the slide I decided to challenge a girl by the name of Erica Smith to the bars. This was unlike the usual competition because the bars were wet which made it challenging. We started out going across, then moved on to skipping one, then two and when that time to skip three rolled around, things got deadly. I was the first to make the attempt. I was in mid-air on the second swoop when I lost grip and went down. I happened to land my wrist right on the cement step of the planter and that was when it happened; "CRACK!" went my arm. The funny thing was that it did not hurt. I held my wrist, got up off the ground and made my way over to the yard nark. "I think I broke my wrist", I said while staring up at her. Everyone gathered around and started grabbing my arm. "Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!". I could not wait there any longer so I jetted to the nurses office without the pass. My arm ended up being fractured pretty bad. I remember being able to be excused from doing any writing for the next few months. My wrist was so skinny I could slide my hot pink, tagged up cast right off. When the weather changes like this and my arm starts aching, this memory flashes through my mind. :]